You’re cooking dinner for your boyfriend. He likes meat and potatoes and you, well, don’t.
Me: “Babe, I’m making xyz* for dinner tonight – you want?” (*xyz is usually healthy, vegan and gluten-free)
The boyfriend: “Does it have meat?’
The boyfriend: “I’ll just order in.”
Sometimes I try to make it work for both of us, but sometimes I’m selfish and don’t really care whether or not he wants any #sorrynotsorrybabe.
Last night I made it a point to let him know I was making US dinner, and that while it was meatless, it was also something he would like. I didn’t mention that it was healthy or gluten-free; the less he knows, the better!
Easy Tomato Cream Pasta with Basil + Veggies
Slightly adapted from Oh She Glows
What you need:
- 1 box pasta of choice (I went with quinoa rotelle pasta)
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (omit if you don’t like it spicy)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 summer squash, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan Pink Salt which I’ve been loving lately)
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- basil, to taste
What to do (with pictures!):
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. While you’re waiting (since a watched pot never boils), add the tomato, cashews, water, 2 (of the 3) cloves of garlic and tomato paste to the blender and blend until smooth
- Add your pasta to boiling water (I did add a little evoo to the water to prevent sticking) and cook al dente!
- Once the pasta is cooking and the blender mixture is good to go, add olive oil to a large skillet and sauté the remaining garlic clove, onion, zucchini, summer squash and peppers with crushed red pepper – about 8 minutes
- Pour the sauce from the blender into the skillet to combine, then stir and add the salt. Let simmer for a few minutes, adding the red wine and fresh ground pepper
- Once pasta has been cooked and drained, add that to the mix
Josh doesn’t like basil, but I chopped some up and mixed it in my portion and served it with some mixed greens on the side!
It’s really so good that I don’t even know how to describe it to give it justice. But the boyfriend gave his approval (phew)! Trying really really hard not to binge eat the leftovers…
Perfect “date night in” meal and, of course, a great idea for Meatless Monday!