I get lots of requests from you guys for healthy snack ideas. I hope you enjoy this one – super easy and delicious all at once.
First, I’m going to present you with a little scenario:
The situation: you have lots of bananas that have about 1-2 days left before they really go bad.
The good news: there are so many options for you, so there’s no need to fret! Some of these include, but are not limited to:
- freeze ’em for smoothies or my Post-Workout Double Chocolate Almond Butter Chia Avocado “Ice Cream”
- mash ’em for my Dark Chocolate Almond Chia Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- use ’em for my Strawberry Banana Almond Butter Overnight Oats
- etc, etc
The alternative good news: if you don’t use them for any of the above and they do go bad, you have a great excuse to make banana bread (and let’s face it, who doesn’t love banana bread?!)
Or, you can try my new recipe with these almost ripe bananas…
by Healthy Girl and the City
What you need:
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp chia
- 1 tsp flax
- dash of cinnamon
What to do:
Mix all the ingredients together and spread it on toast or a brown cake!
And, since you all know I love a good nutrition lesson, here’s what I LOVE about the contents of this snack…
- bananas – full of potassium, help regulate blood sugar, loaded with fiber, high in antioxidants…the list goes on and on! Check out 25 Powerful Reasons to Eat Bananas for more info.
- chia seeds – contain lots of antioxidants, are a good sources of omega-3s and protein. And let’s not forget, fiber!
- flax – read more here in Flax – I’m Obsessed!
- a quick breakfast
- a pre or post workout snack
- on the go
- dessert when you just need to have a little something something
- just cause
This treat is guilt-free and loaded with good for you ingredients so you can’t go wrong!
What do you do with ripe or over ripe bananas?