It’s that time of year. I don’t know about you, but I’m constantly craving soup. Constantly!
I’m always on the lookout for healthy soups that will fill me up AND warm me up! Why not kill two birds with one stone?
The worst part? That whenever the boyfriend and I order in, I feel like my soup options are so very limited. No bueno! So what do I do? I plan ahead. It’s a very difficult three-step process that I follow:
- Find soup recipe
- Go shopping for ingredients
- Get my soup on
Okay, so maybe it’s not that difficult. And that’s just what I did for my (drum roll please)…
Hearty Winter Vegetable Quinoa Soup
By Healthy Girl and the City (slightly adapted from Oh She Glows Holiday Soup for the Soul)
What you need:
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 c red quinoa, uncooked
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, diced or pressed
- 6 c veggie broth
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups spinach, chopped (or kale)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
What to do:
- Saute all veggies in coconut oil, garlic & crushed red pepper for about 5 minutes in a large pot
- Add veggie broth, tomatoes, black beans, quinoa & spices and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat & simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Add spinach and simmer for another 25-30 minutes
- Enjoy with or without some grated parmesan cheese on top!
I think the whole #nofilter is a first for me on the blog! Did I really just hashtag? #yepidid
Long story short: this soup is perfect, especially on cold nights like tonight here in the city.
If you’re a soup fanatic like me, check out my Pumpkin Soup recipe on Urban Detox Club’s blog post, “Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes”.
What’s your favorite soup?