HAPPY BELATED NEW YEAR!!!
Wow, it’s been way too long. Next time I go more than two weeks without a post, please feel free to let me know and reprimand me however you see fit.
But, I’m back at it. The best part? Because of my lack of blogging, I have a TON of healthy recipes and healthy blog topics in the backlog coming your way.
The lack of blogging is also why you’re getting a Meatless Monday recipe on the Friday, but that’s neither here nor there.
Be sure to stay tuned for all the great things to come!
Today, I’m going to talk about spaghetti squash. Can you believe that it wasn’t until recently that I even tried it? I heard about it constantly and saw so many great, fun, healthy recipes involving the stuff. However, for whatever reason I never got around to making any of them.
I was doing some grocery shopping a few weeks ago, buying veggies, and there it was! I couldn’t resist.
Saucy Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
By Healthy Girl and the City
Serves 2-4 (depending how hungry you are: each half is very filling and can easily be shared)
What you need:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 4 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
- 2 cups kale (or spinach)
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce of your choice
- 1/2 to 1 c cottage cheese
- Crushed red pepper, optional
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees – while oven is preheating, place about an inch of water in a baking dish/casserole dish
- Take spaghetti squash, cut in half and place in baking dish; seed side up
- Bake for about 50 minutes, remove from oven and let cool
- De-seed (this can also be done before baking)
- Saute kale in coconut oil & garlic
- Take a fork and begin to rake the spaghetti squash (yeah, I know, it’s pretty freaking cool how it looks just like spaghetti!)
- Next, place whatever amount you want onto your plate, top with sautéed kale and your favorite sauce (I like it saucy so went a little crazy)
- Don’t forget the dollop of cottage cheese if you’re okay with dairy – and definitely don’t forget the crushed red pepper if you like a little kick!
The process in pictures:
You’ll never want to eat actual spaghetti again. Seriously.