For some reason my closest grocery store doesn’t carry almond butter, which I think is weird. Not cool for us folks who don’t like the more popular, peanut butter.
Besides, almond butter is healthier.
Here’s the scenario that went down today-
- My almond butter supply was running dangerously low
- I didn’t feel like trekking to Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods
- Organic almond butter ain’t cheap
- I found a huge bag of all natural almonds I didn’t even know I had
So I got to thinking…
Obviously there’s a way to make the stuff at home, right?
And this is precisely why I freaking LOVE my Vitamix – raw almonds + oil + a little salt = HOMEMADE ALMOND BUTTER
Homemade Almond Butter
By Healthy Girl and the City (heavily adapted from Vitamix recipe)
What you need:
- 1.5 c all natural, raw almonds
- 1/8 c extra virgin olive oil (I REALLY wanted to try coconut oil, but didn’t given that it’s not liquidy enough unless it’s sitting on your shelf in the summer or being used to sauté veggies on the stove)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
What to do:
I threw the almonds, oil and salt in the Vitamix and in a minute had almond butter!
A few takeaways:
It was a tad dry, kind of like the last bit of store-bought usually gets. I could’ve added more oil to fix the problem, but opted to keep it as is since I usually throw it in smoothies or smear it with some raw honey on gluten-free whole grain toast. Yum.
Seriously, if I had more time I would try to make all the things I could at home. But, that’s just unrealistic. I did, however, make some of my homemade almond milk since I had all those almonds. If you haven’t tried it yet, do it up!
Speaking of homemade – coming soon to the blog: DIY beauty products!
What’s your favorite nut butter?