As I mentioned yesterday at the end of my post, I made my boyfriend take me apple picking this past Saturday. He didn’t go kicking and screaming or anything, but it took some convincing. We drove about an hour out of the city to Westchester, which felt like a whole new world. Outside of this place there is actually some beautiful foliage going on. Who knew?!
We picked a whole lot of apples that I’ve been eating. And eating. And eating some more. There are seriously just so many. I need to start cooking with them and have been pinning some yummy looking healthy recipes involving apple that I have yet to make.
Today, I kept it simple.
Apple Pie Oatmeal
By Healthy Girl and the City
What you need:
- 1/2 c oats/1 c water
- 1/2 apple, diced (I left the skin on, but feel free to peel)
- 1/8 c raisins
- 3 dashes cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp coconut oil (optional, but too many health benefits not to; read more here)
- 1/2 tbsp chia (read more about the health benefits here)
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk (I used vanilla; you can also try out my homemade almond milk!)
What to do:
- Prepare oats as directed – once water is boiling and you add in the oats, that’s when you’ll throw in the apples and raisins – you want them nice and soft
- With about one minute remaining, add the cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut oil, chia & honey – add the almond milk last
- It’s ready to eat!
It’s pretty darn good. Not to mention healthy & filling! It’s a plus that I got to use up some of those apples too.
What are some of your favorite ways to cook with apples?