This is a bit belated for a Meatless Monday post, but better late than never. Plus, you can make it next Monday now!
So good, but no so good for you. The boyfriend loves it, and I tend to indulge from time to time myself (gasp!).
I love mine covered in veggies though. Kind of helps me justify the whole pizza thing. Peppers, onions, broccoli, mushrooms… sometimes olives and spinach too. Oh, and you can’t forget the garlic and red pepper flakes. If we order in, I totally put a little sriracha on it. And in my opinion, the saucier, the better.
Am I making your mouth water?
I had to come up with a healthier alternative that helped me sort of get my pizza fix without the guilt. The result?
Veggie Lover’s Quinoa Pizza
by healthy girl and the city
serves 2-6 (you need to factor in hunger level and/or if you’re eating this as a side dish)
What you need:
For the veggie part
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 c sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
For the quinoa part
- prepare 1 serving of quinoa (aka 2 c water + 1 c quinoa)
- 1 c broccoli florets
For the finished product
- 1/2 c part skim shredded mozzarella
- 1 c of your favorite pasta sauce, warmed
What to do:
- Prepare quinoa as directed (about 15-20 minutes) – add in the broccoli florets when you have about 5 minutes remaining
- While the quinoa is cooking, saute veggies for 7-10 minutes, depending how soft you like ’em; add in the red pepper flakes for the last minute or so
- Once both are done, combine the veggie and quinoa concoctions and add the mozzarella and pasta sauce while hot – serve and enjoy!
and you get
That’s some yummy, healthy deliciousness right there.
The moral of the story?
Next time you’re craving pizza, make this instead.
And a quick birthday shout out to the boyfriend today xo