Hi everyone. I hope you’re having an awesome Meatless Monday!
I actually made this recipe yesterday, knowing there would be plenty of leftovers to enjoy tonight, tomorrow and the next day. And this cooler weather made me want soup, so there you have it…
Lentil & Black Bean Soup with Spinach
adapted from Cookin’ Canuck’s Hearty Lentil with Black Beans and Smoked Paprika recipe
What you need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced or pressed (you know I LOVE the stuff)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 4 3/4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 c spinach
- salt & pepper, to taste
What to do:
- Saute onions, celery and garlic in olive oil in a large pot, about 5 minutes
- Add in the paprika, diced tomatoes, lentils, veggie broth, water & bay leaf
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, stirring occasionally, until lentils are cooked; about 25 minutes
- Remove from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes – this is when you can add the spinach and remove bay leaf
- Once slightly cooled, place half of the lentil soup concoction and half of the black beans in a blender – pulse, but you want to keep the texture chunky
- Combine contents of blender into pot with the lentil soup and throw in the other half of the black beans
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dig in!
This recipe was a little more involved than I thought, but it was really good. Feel free to reduce the amount of water if you prefer a thicker soup.
I added sriracha because, well, why not?!
Will be enjoying some leftovers shortly.
What’s your favorite Meatless Monday meal?