I wanted to do another pumpkin blog, but figured I’d take a breather.
HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!
So, this post involves another food I love, quinoa! So easy to make, yet I feel like most people don’t even realize it. And I wanted to let you know how to make the perfect quinoa every time you make it.
Oh, and I’ll share a quick little recipe at the end.
THE Perfect Quinoa
While it’s perfectly acceptable to make quinoa with water, I would like to suggest a few other options:
- veggie broth, or chicken/beef broth
- almond milk, or dairy milk of your choice
The broth always gives it a really nice, subtle flavor. And the almond milk is great when you’re making quinoa “oatmeal”. I’ll be sure to whip up some of this aforementioned quinoa “oatmeal” for the blog soon.
For today’s post I’m sticking with veggie broth. And I’m making the standard recipe. I typically make a bunch to use throughout the week for various meals.
What you do (for the perfect quinoa):
- 1 cup quinoa + 2 cups veggie broth – place in a pot and bring to a boil (always remember 1 part quinoa + 2 parts liquid)
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer – cover and cook!
- Be sure to check on the quinoa occasionally; fluffing with a fork periodically does the trick
- 10-15 minutes later, you’re done! Liquid is absorbed and you’ll be able to see the germ ring along the outside of the grain
Is it really that easy? YEP!
A few other tips/tricks
- Feel free to add some fresh, diced veggies in at the beginning for a little veggie quinoa
- I add quinoa to soups and salads; eat it as a side dish AND for breakfast
- Add spices for some additional flavor
- Make a big batch early in the week to use throughout – great source of protein & gluten-free!
- If you want to learn more about quinoa and how great it is, check out my post The Quinoa Virgin: A Lesson in Whole Grains
Now for the easiest recipe ever…
Simple Quinoa Salad with Veggie Burger
By Healthy Girl and the City
What you need:
- Romaine lettuce (or your choice)
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup prepared quinoa (veggie broth kind is best)
- 1 veggie burger
- 1/2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Throw all the ingredients in a salad bowl, plop the veggie burger on top and you’re ready to eat.
So simple, so healthy.
What’s your favorite quinoa recipe?