It’s been way too long since I’ve done a Meatless Monday post! And I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for quite some time; I even made it a few weeks ago and then got too lazy to post. But, I made it again last night just for you…
I’m a big fan of lentils. And of all things spicy. Oh, and I love goat cheese. Broccoli is pretty great too.
Um, yeah, I kind of love everything about this recipe. And the fact that it’s easy makes it even better!
Spicy Lentils with Broccoli & Goat Cheese
by Healthy Girl and the City
What you need:
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (or EVOO, your choice)
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (leave out if you’re anti-spicy)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 c veggie broth
- 1 c lentils (I used a half cup green lentils and a half cup split red lentils since I ran out of green*)
- Broccoli – however much you want
- 2 tbsp goat cheese per serving
What to do:
- Saute the garlic, onion and red pepper flakes in oil, about 3 minutes
- Add the veggie broth and lentils – bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes
- Can add more broth if necessary
- Steam some broccoli while lentils are simmering & you’re good to go!
*the split lentils give it more of a stew-like consistency
It’s really freaking good. And really freaking good for you to boot.
Why I love lentils:
- Easy to make
- Filling & low-calorie
- Great source of cholesterol-lowering fiber
- Also loaded with folate, iron, protein, vitamin B and other vitamins and minerals
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels
- So versatile!
If you haven’t cooked lentils before, get after it! In the meantime, I need to start brainstorming unique recipe ideas using them. Stay tuned…
Pingback: A REAL Checkup – Spicy Lentil Tacos | Real Food on the Table