Weekends go by too fast, especially when you have lots going on:
- Friday night: friend’s birthday dinner, followed by karaoke (I didn’t sing, don’t worry)
- Saturday: business training, then a double-header at the movies with the boyfriend – Evil Dead and The Great and Powerful Oz
- Sunday: final exam for school (I passed, yay!) and taught a yoga class
Before I knew it, it was Sunday night and I had a dilemma – what to make for dinner? I wanted to keep it simple, but get creative at the same time.
Turkey Burger Fajitas, Pita Style
by Healthy Girl and the City
What you need:
- 1 pound lean, ground turkey
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 onion
- 2 peppers, cut fajita style – I opted for one red, 1/2 yellow and 1/2 orange (if you’re wondering what I did with the extra halves, I enjoyed them with a little jalapeno hummus this afternoon)
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- avocado, optional
What to do:
- Cut onion in half – dice half and you can slice the second half into larger pieces OR dice the whole thing – your call
- Take the diced half and mix with the lean turkey meat; add pepper to taste and form into four patties
- While the burgers are cooking, use the olive oil to saute the remaining onion, garlic & peppers
How easy was that? I chose to make mine pita style, though it did get a tad messy because I overstuffed with the veggies, as you can see below. There’s a turkey burger in there somewhere, promise! Feel free to go crazy with the avocado too.
You can serve this with anything – I had a side salad, though sweet potato fries would be another great option.
Not a pita fan? Fajita wraps would work. Or, you could just plop the fajita mixture and turkey burger atop a salad. The boyfriend ate his on a hamburger bun.