Spring is here! Well, sort of.
I’m going to embrace the fact that it’s been slightly warmer-ish the last few days here in NYC. This “past” winter’s weather was dreadful and for the first time ever I entertained the idea of moving to a warmer climate! To say I’m ready for nice weather is an understatement.
So think back to, like, August when I went on my all things pumpkin binge. Kind of like I craved pumpkin before fall officially kicked in, I’ve noticed myself starting to crave raw vs steamed veggies and less warming foods. I guess that’s why I’ve been wanting to bust out my juicer that’s been sitting in its box for months. But, until I’m ready to start cleaning fruit & veggie pulp/deal with stickiness, I think my Vitamix will do just fine. Besides, I like a little more substance at breakfast vs juice alone.
Drum roll please…
“Spring Greening” Detox Smoothie
by healthy girl and the city
What you’ll need:
- 1 c coconut water
- 1 handful spinach
- 2-3 kale leaves
- 1 celery stalk
- 4-5 mint leaves
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (#shaklee180)
Why these ingredients:
- coconut water – natural energy drink, high in potassium and minerals
- spinach – rich in antioxidants, as well as, vitamins B, C, E & K and magnesium, folate, iron, calcium, potassium, folic acid, protein and omega-3…um yeah, spinach is pretty awesome!
- kale – high in beta carotene, vitamins C & K and rich in calcium
- celery – considered a “negative calorie food”; your body actually burns more calories digesting it than it takes in
- mint – rich in manganese, vitamins A, B & C, iron potassium and calcium; mint also has been known to benefit the digestive system
- lemon – helps boost immunity and cleanses your system
This is a great way to start your day – chock full of veggies, vitamins & minerals. Not to mention, the protein helps keep you full til lunch.
And, on that note, I’m off to yoga!
Do you have a favorite green smoothie recipe? Do tell!