It’s been awhile since I authored a recipe. And, what better day to experiment than Meatless Monday?!
I seriously love looking up recipes online. It’s quite fun and I get so many great ideas. I love it so much that my Pinterest “Recipes” and “Guilty Pleasures, etc” Boards are getting out of hand. (Click here to follow me.)
But yesterday, I wanted to create something amazing for all of you. Easier said than done, right?
First, I had to figure out what it was I was craving. Next, I had to brainstorm ingredients that tasted good together that wouldn’t be gross. Lastly, I had to go shopping and hope my store carried everything I needed (I kept it pretty simple for this reason; my store often doesn’t have what I need).
My obsession with Mexican food was in full force – despite having eaten it Friday (chicken fajitas), Saturday (enchiladas) & Sunday (chimichanga). I was home visiting my family this weekend and couldn’t help myself. That being said, I had to mix it up a bit and do something different…
Despite the warm weather last night, it is still fall, and I do love pumpkin. Fall inspired burritos, anyone?
Spicy Veggie Burritos with Pumpkin & Goat Cheese
(yield is about 6 cups; 1 c filling per burrito is perfect)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds and all)
- spinach (net weight 5 oz or about 2 c packed)
- 1 4.5 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (burrito size*)
- goat cheese, to taste
- cilantro, to taste
- Saute the garlic, onion, pepper and jalapeno in olive oil in a large pan – about 5 minutes over medium heat
- Add spinach and cook until wilted
- Lower heat to add the green chilis, black beans, pumpkin, cinnamon and chili powder – once all mixed, return to medium heat and cook until warm (anywhere from 2-5 minutes)
- Take about 1 c of mixture and plop onto tortilla, then top with 2 tbsp goat cheese and some cilantro – roll it up & enjoy!
- *It took me about 10 minutes to find whole wheat tortillas at my grocery store, and they only had taco size. I hope most of you don’t have this problem, but I bought them anyway and used 1/2 c burrito filling and ate the other 1/2 c on the side; 1 c of this in a taco sized tortilla would be a tad much
- This would be great mixed with brown rice or quinoa
- I like my food a little spicy and this had just the right amount of kick; if you don’t like it spicy, reduce the amount of chili powder
- I was somewhat nervous about this being watery given all the veggies, but have no fear, it was perfect (even reheated today for lunch!)
What was that? You want to know calorie count? As far as the burrito ingredients go (including goat cheese & cilantro, not including tortilla): ~170 calories / I apologize, but I didn’t get fancy and go further than calories for this one.
I’m telling you, make for this dinner tonight. You won’t be sorry!
And, before I let you go, I launched my Facebook page last night! Click here to “like” me.