In a mere 24 hours, I will be en route to Mexico with the boyfriend (wicked excited)!!! Sun, sand, relaxation… I guess I’m feeling a little summery/tropical as a result; I couldn’t help but concoct a post on my favorite oil, coconut! I’m been meaning to throw something together on this for a while, so let’s get to it.
Coconut oil kinda rocks. It’s so versatile, I almost don’t even know where to begin. You can cook with it, eat it, use it on your skin & in your hair…
Coconut oil is a saturated fat, but a healthy one – it’s a medium chain triglyceride (MCT) (vs. animal saturated fat that is a long chain triglyceride). MCT’s digest quickly, which produce energy and stimulate the metabolism. Do I got your attention yet? Read on…
It was in the 40’s this week in the mornings; to say I’ve been pretty darn cold would be an understatement. My skin and lips are getting dry and chapped already, gross. I don’t know about you, but I vehemently dislike dry skin and everything else that cold weather brings. Which, brings us to:Coconut Oil & Its Many Uses (tip: a little goes a long way)
- Moisturizer – personally, I prefer it as more of an overnight moisturizer, something I can rinse off in the morning. Just apply a little before bed and massage into the skin.
- Hair treatment – take a little (stress that, a little) and work it through you hair, concentrating on the ends. I suggest using a shower cap if you intend to keep it in overnight.
- Cooking – you can use it in place of butter and other oils when you need to grease a pan, etc. It’s a super stable oil to cook with & doesn’t easily turn into trans fatty acids when hot. I use it all the time when making eggs or in place of olive oil when sauteing veggies.
- Baking – if a recipe calls for 2 tbsp of butter, replace with 2 tbsp coconut oil…it’s an even trade! Oh, and did I mention it’s vegan and gluten-free?! BOOM.
- Blending – yes, blending! I throw the occasional tbsp into my smoothies.
Coconut Oil & Its Many Potential Health Benefits(you can read more on Shape.com)
- Weight loss – in terms of metabolism, coconut oil is metabolized differently than fats from other oils (it’s an MCT don’t forget)
- It can help raise your good cholesterol (aka HDL) – it’s a healthy saturated fat
- Immune system booster – this oil has lots of antifungal and antiviral properties
I figured I’d include this little InfoGraphic from NaturalNews for your viewing pleasure:
For some additional reading, you can check out Organic authority.
What are some of your favorite uses for coconut oil?